Monday, June 18, 2007

Abu Dhabi- Day 6

Jaber picked us up from the hotel in Al Ain around 9am. And we set off for Abu Dhabi. After some driving we got to the capital city and checked into our amazing hotel.

This place was really lavish. It was the Abu Dhabi officer’s hotel, sort of like military officer’s clubs in the states. It was enormous. There was a garden cafĂ© running the length of the hotel wing we were in. I don’t know what else to say. I ended up with m own room, because my dad was leaving that night. It was the first place that had a bar in it, so my dad and I had a pint while the Filipino bar tender put on his favorite Shakira video. God, she sucks; I think she was ripping off Alanis Morisette. Who would do that????

Jaber came back around noon. It was Friday, so he had special prayer stuff to do. Friday is sort of like Christian Sundays, so he wanted to go somewhere and hear the imam speak, I think.

After this we set out to see Abu Dhabi. We went to the harbor area for lunch, a very nice buffet. Then we shot off to the Emirate Palace, which is probably the most unbelievably huge hotel I’ve ever seen. Imagine the Taj Mahal with the Arc D’Triumph. Ok, probably an exaggeration, but this place was enormous and fancy, fancy, fancy! There are pics and vids, but I still don’t have that stuff posted…someday soon, I hope.

Understand, so far we’ve pretty much done everything in either a hotel or a mall.

Then we went to two other malls. The traffic was unbelievably horrendous. By the time it was all over with we got back to our hotel around 10pm. We had some shawarma sandwiches and Jaber told us a story from the Koran about a king who tried to destroy the Kabla (?) in Mecca but his elephant kneeled down and wouldn’t go ay further. Then some bird flew over, dropped pebbles on the soldiers heads and they all fell dead. Then Jaber left and I went to my room. Then I was asleep.

No comments: